The 2023 Guide to Asphalt Driveway Costs in Central Indiana
If you’re contemplating installing an asphalt driveway in Indianapolis, Carmel, Fishers or nearby cities like Zionsville, Noblesville, or Avon, a variety of factors will affect your budget.
These include your choice of asphalt type, the driveway’s size and depth, and even the slope of the land. The typical cost for an asphalt driveway installation in the Indianapolis area is around $5,200, translating to $5 to $12 per square foot, including labor charges.
Table of Contents
Asphalt Cost Per Ton in the Central Indiana
Asphalt costs in the Indianapolis area range from $115 to $220 per ton. A ton can cover an area between 33 and 88 square feet, depending on the depth. For a 675-square-foot driveway with a minimum depth of 2.6 inches, you’ll require between 9 and 17 tons of asphalt.
|Category||Cost Range per Square Foot||Additional Info|
|Land Preparation||$7 to $12||Includes leveling and grading|
|Material Expenses||$7 to $19||Varies by asphalt type|
|Installation Cost||$7 to $9||Labor costs|
- Land Preparation: The initial step involves leveling the land, costing approximately $1,700 to $5,700 in the Indianapolis area. Additional grading can cost between $7 and $12 per square foot.
- Material Expenses: The asphalt type you opt for will influence the overall cost. While recycled asphalt is more budget-friendly, specialty types like stamped asphalt will be pricier.
- Installation Costs: Labor expenses in the Indianapolis region are generally between $7 and $9 per square foot. For a 675-square-foot driveway, you’re looking at labor costs ranging from $3,400 to $4,800.
Asphalt Varieties and Their Pricing
- Eco-Friendly Asphalt: Costs around $7 to $10 per square foot, inclusive of installation.
- Conventional Asphalt: Ranges from $9 to $15 per square foot, covering both material and labor costs.
- Drain-Friendly Asphalt: Costs between $5 and $10 per square foot and is excellent for drainage.
- Designer Asphalt: Costs from $12 to $19 per square foot and offers a luxurious appearance.
Types of Asphalt and Their Costs
|Type of Asphalt||Cost per Square Foot||Benefits|
|Eco-Friendly||$7 to $10||Environmentally friendly|
|Conventional||$9 to $15||Standard option|
|Drain-Friendly||$5 to $10||Good for drainage|
|Designer||$12 to $19||High-end appearance|
- Geographical Factors: Prices can differ based on your specific location, whether you’re in downtown Indianapolis or a neighboring city.
- Upkeep: Expect to pay about $5 to $9 per square foot for sealing every 3 to 5 years.
- Size Matters: The average driveway size in the Indianapolis area is approximately 675 square feet.
Although DIY could save you on labor costs, the strenuous work and specialized equipment needed make it wise to consult a professional—especially in the unpredictable weather conditions of Indiana.
Is asphalt more economical than concrete in the Indianapolis area?
Generally, asphalt costs between $9 and $17 per square foot, while concrete can go up to $20.
What is the lifespan of an asphalt driveway in Indianapolis?
Typically, 28 to 33 years, depending on how well it’s maintained and the local weather.
Why do asphalt driveways crack?
Various factors, including soil movement and Indiana’s extreme weather, can lead to cracks. Regular maintenance can help prevent this.
|Average Cost||Around $5,200 for a 675-square-foot driveway|
|Cost Per Ton||$115 to $220 in the Indianapolis area|
|Minimum Depth||2.6 inches|
|Preferred Depth||6.7 inches for better durability|
|Common Cities||Indianapolis, Carmel, Fishers, Greenwood|
|DIY Risks||Specialized equipment and labor-intensive|
Understanding these elements will help you make a well-informed decision about your asphalt driveway project in the Indianapolis area.